A career in hospitality can be the best starting and leverage point for ambitious people – because it allows you to develop so many skills that can be applied and transferred to other types of roles and industries – that’s certainly what Sydney based Nicky Vaux has found.
Having started her career in hospitality management in the UK, her career has hit a few crossroads that saw her build on the experience, connections and skills she developed over many years working up the ranks in hospitality and events. Nicky now she has a number of businesses and roles under her belt:
Currently she is:
- the owner of Beaches and Mountains Girls Getaways – recently relaunched as Venus Getaways – which offers a range of properties and packages to host girls weekends and special occasions
- Dealer Principal of Empire Boat Sales at Bobbin Head Marina
- Involved in Beds On Board Australia – a share economy platform offering accomodation on boats around the world
- and proud owner of a brand new gelato bar – Spilt Milk – in Orange, NSW
In this interview Nicky shares her thoughts on:
- the things that have supported her the most throughout her career and career changes
- how she designed her life through each of her career and business moves
- The approach she took to break into and succeed in a male dominated industry
- Her top tips for anyone considering a career change
- A recommendation of a great industry that offers fantastic opportunities and lifestyle and which is crying out for people in a range of roles
Whether you are considering a career change because you’re at a new stage of life, moving countries or just feel ready for a change from your current industry – Nicky has a great story and experience to share that will inspire anyone considering a career change.
You can find out more about Nicky’s businesses here:
Thank you for listening – and please share this episode with a friend or family member who you think is ready to think about their next career move.
Do you like this sort of food for thought?
Want to make sure you are the first to hear every new episode?
Also I would love it if you left a rating and review on iTunes which will help other people to find it… thank you!